Always Stand Up For Your Legal Rights

The 3 Next Steps When Your Child Is Charged with a DUI

Getting the call in the middle of the night that your son or daughter has been in an accident can be jarring. If your child got into an accident as the result of a DUI or suspected DUI, the scared feeling can turn into anger very quickly. Though you may feel the need to lecture them,  you will need to get the ball rolling on the legal side of things. After you get the call that you never want to receive, here are some ways to react in a manner that will help you and your child through this large issue. 

Call a DUI attorney immediately

Though you can be represented by a regular attorney, a DUI attorney is best. An attorney that has represented defendants in DUI cases will understand the gravity of the legal problems that your child will be facing right off the bat. Contact firms like Throgmorton Winston Attorney as you are heading back home with your son or daughter and ask to meet with them. If there are conflicting accounts of the night's events, have your child write down what happened prior to going to bed. this will make sure that the lawyer has their version of events while it is fresh instead of the next day when they are groggy. 

Do not grill your child

One of the most important things that you need to remember about the night of the incident is not to grill your child. Grilling your child will make them nervous and could influence their version of events. Some children will desire to downplay the gravity of their actions to their parents, which can lead to inconsistent statements and memory. The night of the accident, allow everyone to go to bed without grilling, arguing, or heavily discussing the DUI. As soon as possible, meet with the lawyer, then have a family discussion afterward. 

Find character witnesses

The behavior of the person before a DUI crash can actually be important to determine the sentencing portion of the DUI. If your child has had prior offenses, the penalty phase of the DUI could be especially harsh. If your child has no record and is known through the community as an upstanding person, this can impact the court's decision to allow a light sentence. Find people who are willing to stand in for your child as character witnesses, especially those who have good standing in the community themselves.